Thursday, March 28, 2013

Of Star Wars and Government

 For extra effect while reading this post: Imperial March

"Why don't all the Sith and Jedi move to some planet nobody's ever heard of and slug it out in private, and leave the rest of the galaxy in peace?"
A quote from one of my favorite Star Wars related novels, you know, the same could be said about Republicans and Democrats really....
Another quote from the same book also struck me as a bit interesting in light of all the crap going on with our government.
"Empires are doomed from day one. Whatever happens, however well they start out- they get too big and go rotten. They all fall."
Every now and them I amuse myself with drawing out the political parallels of our current government situation (the last 5-6 years) and the situations displayed in the Star Wars universe.
Things start out there with a simple sneaky/conniving senator tricking his way into the role of supreme leader.
Here, things start out about the same, a nearly unheard of Senator is suddenly the most popular guy in the country, and with dozens of clever disguised lies, he worms his way into leadership. Totally inexperienced.
Things there are fairly peaceful for the first term or so, laws are quietly changed in the background, and sneaky stuff is going on that nobody knows about.
And the same goes for here. One day nothing, the next, we're being forced to take this healthcare.
There, suddenly, towards the last year or so, conflict suddenly breaks out, people are duped into thinking they need to keep the same leader that they have had the last few years, blindly going along with his false ideas.
Here, a near identical situation.
There, things suddenly start changing, people vote more and more power to this guy, thinking he's a saint and will take care of them all. Meanwhile, the government is slowly going broke (yes, true story. I've read in depth, not only into real world politics, but the ones in other galaxies.. what can I say, I find the topic interesting...)
Here, the president continues to use "special powers" to get what he wants authorized, without running it by the people.
There, people are complaint, following blinding after their wonderful saint of a leader, oblivious to what is going on the background. Those who do notice, are quietly silenced and snuffed out, classified as criminals and such.
Here, things are well on their way in that direction, heroes become "monsters", killers", "enemies", and generally just "insane" people that don't know anything. The government is feeding the masses lies that they will keep you safe from all the bad things in the world, you only need to give them more power and you less freedom.
There, good is finally all but killed off, slaughtered in the night or driven deep into exile. Nobody says a word as the democracy suddenly morphs into an Empire and freedom is all but taken away. Yet the people go along with it, because they are blind.
Here, well, we're not quite yet to the massive "Empire" part yet, but see how close we've come?
Funny thing is, this story, that so parallels our own government, was written way before these events...It's like the president read Palpatine's personal works on "How to trick the ignorant masses" or maybe "Start and Empire 101". 
Step one: dupe all the sheep.
Step two: fool even the good people for a while.
Step three: take more and more power in little bits at a time.
Step five: and when things are all set, execute Order 66. Kill all the good off.

2 comments:

  1. (This is from *Paulwe on dA)

    I would start an enormous flame war if I put all my arguments on here, and there's a good chance that DSP will be pissed at me if angry with me if I piss off one of her best friends. And you're too cool for me to argue with you anyway. We can agree to disagree, you know? So I'm not going to do a full argument.

    One thing, though - I've got a question that I'm somewhat confused about. Why are you upset about the healthcare? I'm Canadian and I've had free healthcare my entire life. I think Obama's doing you guys a favor. (That doesn't imply that I condone the rest of his administration, though)

    That being said, I'm pretty open-minded politically. I'm not a member of any party and listen to everybody's arguments. I'm not here to start an argument, I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fair and decent comment my friend. You're probably one of the few level headed people left when it comes to debating.

    Trust me, I sure could use free healthcare (I can afford pretty much nothing and therefore only go to doctors and such if it's absolutely needed.) But as I've studied after such things, I know that nothing is free. Where does the government get the money to pay for our free healthcare? It comes from highly raised taxes on everything else. I can't afford to have a car, and a place to live unless I work several jobs. And with our economy in the state it is, jobs are few and far between right now. I'm lucky to have the one I do.
    But back to the free healthcare thing, as I said, it's not free, and even though I really need it, I want absolutely nothing to do with it unless something very dire comes up. I don't want to depend on the government, that's just what they want, they want us depending on them for everything while they slowly begin to remove every last bit of our freedom.
    I'm fairly open minded-myself. I know what I believe, I do my research.
    I tend to lean towards being more conservative. But I'm not too fond of any of our current politicians. I don't trust a single one of them.

    ReplyDelete